Why should I set up chat greetings
As an up-to-date business leader you should keep track of new technologies. But even if your sales is exclusively Internet-based, you can still learn from observing how customer service works in brick-and-mortars.
Imagine you need to buy a gift, so you walk into a boutique to see what’s on. While you’re browsing through the offer, the shop assistant observes you discretely. She’s good at it and after a few minutes she knows exactly what you may be looking for, even before you do. So she approaches to offer you help.
Even if you’d rather shop on your own, you are left with the feeling that if you eventually need help, the customer adviser is there for you.
Greetings are an online version of such approach – they pop-up on your site inviting customers to chat when they need it the most.
You can personalize the greeting message and add agent’s photo to make the experience more natural and engaging.
With greetings, you will:
- Get more chats – the more personalized and targeted your chat invitation is, the higher the possibility of chatting with visitors
- Turn visitors into customers – according to our report, visitors invited to chat are 6.3 times more likely to convert into customers than the ones who don’t chat; 61% of those customers convert within the first chat
- Increase customer satisfaction – your customer will leave your site happy and willing to return; they can tell their friends and colleagues about the great experience they had, gaining you some new visitors
- Sell more – the more chances you have, the higher number of buyers you will eventually get
Creating a greeting
Creating a chat greeting is a simple and quick process. Follow the steps below to create your first custom greeting:
- Go to the Greetings section of your LiveChat panel.
- Click on Set up more greetings. A list of available greeting types will come up.
– first one is set up to activate after 20 seconds (on),
– second one is dedicated to returning visitors (on),
– third one is for visitors that visited at least 5 pages (off).
Feel free to edit or substitute them. You can also add more conditions.
Using a popup chat window, you can change the invitation image by Uploading custom graphic.
- Choose the greeting type.
In this example, greeting for specific pages will be discussed.
- Click on the text box under Greeting message and compose the invitation.
- Set up the conditions which should be met for this greeting to pop up.
Our example greeting is set to fire up for visitors who entered a page which has promo string in its URL; e.g. www.shoeshop.com/promo.
- Once you are happy with it, click on Add a greeting button to save it.
If you want to ask your customers for their details after they are greeted, learn how to set pre-chat survey after greetings.
Setting the rules
You can create very specific chat greetings by setting up certain conditions for them. You should always start off with a single greeting type, defined by one condition. You can add more conditions to it to make it even more effective. The following conditions regarding visitors’ actions on your site are available:
certain amount of time spent on site
– displayed to visitors when they spend a given time on your page
looking up a keyword
– triggered when a customer comes to your webpage from a search engine that supports passing keywords
first time visit to your site
– sent to visitors who entered your page for the first time
visitor returning to your site
– fired up for visitors who came back to your page
specific country or location
– issued to customers from a specific country or city
accessing specific page
– pop up for visitors who landed on a page defined in greeting conditions
visitor arrived from a referring page
– sent when a customer enters your page by following a link placed on another page
in sync with code or API
– based on custom parameters
Create engaging greetings
You should try to create interesting and engaging chat greetings to achieve the best effects. Try creating two separate greeting messages with the same conditions and run them both for one month each. After the test period, you will see which text is more successful and gets you more chats.
We got really good results with a customized greeting on our contact page. See how we got the idea and how much it improved our support on our blog.
Difference between greetings and welcome messages
If you are using the embedded chat window, greetings are very similar to the welcome messages sent to visitors when the chat starts. Both greetings and welcome messages are displayed as the first message in the chat.
However, greetings are more proactive while welcome messages are entirely passive. Welcome messages are displayed when visitors start the chat on their own by clicking on a chat bar or a button. Greetings are sent out automatically when the greeting’s conditions are met.
Additionally, you can have several greetings set up simultaneously while you can have only one welcome set up at a time (but you can set up different welcome messages for different groups).
Welcome message can be customized in the Language section in the panel.