Using canned responses for common questions
If you often reply to the same customer questions, consider saving those replies as canned responses. It will shorten your response times and save keystrokes on repetitive typing. With canned responses, you type it once, save it and reuse it in chats and tickets whenever you need.
Apart from being a huge time saver, canned responses help tackle typo mistakes. Use them for foreign names, complex addresses, common expressions, URLs or virtually anything that you type repeatedly.
In this article:
- Using canned responses
- Adding canned responses
- Editing canned responses
- Deleting canned responses
- Canned responses for groups
Using canned responses
To use a canned response in chat, type in the hash sign followed by a shortcut, for example, #thank (try it out!). We created a separate article where you can find more examples and tips&tricks regarding this feature.
Adding canned responses
Each LiveChat account comes with a set of sample responses. You can use them out of the box, tweak them or add your own. There are two ways to add a new response:
Directly from the chat
If you find yourself sending the same reply yet another time, you can save it with just one click.
- After replying to the customer’s question, hover your mouse over your message and click the Save as canned response icon.
- You will see a pop-up window in which you can edit the message and add a shortcut. To add more shortcuts at once, separate them with a comma.
- Finally, to keep changes, hit Save canned response.
If you have several groups, such as sales and support, and you save a canned response during a chat, it will be assigned to the group in which the chat occurred.
Here you can create new canned responses from scratch, edit existing ones, and delete the ones you no longer use. Follow the steps below to add a new one:
- To begin, go to Settings → Agent tools → Canned responses.
- Then, enter the canned response text.
- And choose a shortcut.
- Click Add this response button to save it.
Editing canned responses
Your predefined replies can get old and out of date after some time. You can easily modify them in the following way:
- First, go to Canned responses.
- Find the response you want to edit, hover your cursor over it and click edit.
- Here, you can change the text of the response.
- And/or its shortcuts.
- Click on Save changes to finish up.
Deleting canned responses
If you no longer need a particular response, you can delete it by following these steps:
- Navigate to Canned responses and find the response you want to delete.
- Hover your cursor over it and click delete.
- Finalize by clicking on the Delete this response button.
Canned responses for groups
If you have your agents assigned to different groups you can create canned responses that are group-specific. You will find a required canned response quicker when you narrow down the results to a single group rather than having to search through the entire list.
If you have yet to create groups and assign agents to them, check out our article about groups.
Adding a group-specific canned response
To add a canned response that is assigned to a specific group, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to Settings → Agent tools → Canned responses.
- In the upper left corner, click on the group dropdown menu. Then find and choose the group you want to assign the canned response to.
- Fill in the canned message text field.
- Add a shortcut.
- Click on the Add the response button to save it.
When a canned response is assigned to a specific group, only agents from the specific group will be able to use this response. When you are using this method, the pool of predefined responses available for all departments remains relatively small and your teammates can find relevant responses faster.